Athens time

Monday 10 May 2010

My first outing in designing .....

As a beginning quilter (yeah... I know... I have been doing it for over a year now! how time flies... but still not as good as some who have done in half the time what I am going to achieve over the next year!), I am always keen on learning techniques and ... because I am afraid to get it "wrong", an avid follower of patterns.

I keep saying to all who will listen I would LOVE to design my own and just 'go with the flow' but I am never satisfied with what I make and put it in the bin.... It just doesn't look the same as all the loveliness I admire...

But... I have since realized that you cannot be a Rembrandt at first try.. so I will have to take baby steps first and just give it a go...


Here is my very first own design for a babyquilt... I tried to use primary colours and simple shapes but make it cheery at the same time. It still looks like a child's drawing to me, but maybe, in fabric, it will work?

Thank you to Kiyomi for spurring me on to try this. It was fun to try something outside my comfort zone (and I haven't 'coloured in' for years! lol!).

18 comments:

Jo said...

this looks so sweet, I am sure it would sell. Well done on the drawing the little creatures look so cute.

Liz said...

Oh, it's just lovely. Shouldn't a childs quilt look like a childs drawing? I know any of my grandies would have loved it as a baby!! Well done.....
Lizzie
xxx

Lara said...

It's very sweet Marg! Will make a gorgeous baby quilt.

Sylvie - Madame Créative said...

I think it is just lovely, and perfect for a baby quilt!

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

How gorgeous, your first try is amazing Marguerite. The snails are so happy and such pretty butterflies. it will look great xo

Lynz said...

This will look amazing!! Fresh and pretty and cute! So, when you making it up? And stop putting yourself down, I think you're work is always excellent. So there.

Unknown said...

this is so cute well done and good luck.

Molly said...

This is going to be a lovely quilt! The drawing alone would look awesome in a nursery!

LJ said...

That quilt is going to rock!

Catherine said...

That's as cute as a button Marguerite! Perfect for a baby quilt.

Unknown said...

For your first design, it is awesome!! Can't wait to see it in fabric.

myBearpaw said...

This is so sweet and will look gorgeous as a baby quilt! You did a great job with the design and colours. Will you applique the butterflys etc?

Susan said...

It's going to be wonderful, Marg and you do beautiful work so I know it'll turn out beautifully!

Look at those flying geese! You'll have fun making those in all the pretty colors!

imquilternity said...

It's adorable. It will be wonderful in fabric. How quickly will you be able to get to it?

Anonymous said...

Good for you! It's fabulous ;)

Pauline said...

I love it! Kudos to you!

Evelyn said...

I think that would make an AWESOME quilt. I look forward to seeing it on your blog some day. And I'd hardly call you a beginning quilter anymore. ;-)

Corrie said...

It's darling. It will be so fun to make.