Athens time

Friday 3 June 2011

Do you remember this competition?

Back in January, just before I started my course, I finished a block for a competition. Do you remember it?

This is what I wrote in my post then:

"Last but not least, my 10" block for the competition in Irish Quilting Magazine has been finished and sent off. The brief was to make an unfinished 10 1/2" block with a floral theme. You had to use at least 2 different stitches from your machine.



This is the result. I have been an avid admirer of Susan Brubaker Knapp for a while now and have been wanting to try one of the tutorials on her blog. So I perused the older posts, bought her master stitching DVD and off I went. I am quite pleased with the result, even if it is by no means to the standard Susan reaches, but by having a sort of impressionist style, a lot can be forgiven!"

WELL ...........

You can imagine my sheer delight and surprise when I WON A PRIZE! And what's more, I won the Editor's Choice Award! I am tickled pink and Sherry was so complimentary about my block. Can you imagine.. she was talking about 'tremendous skilled thread play' and wrote on her blog that when she unpacked the block,it whispered to her, 'love me' and she did!




THIS is the link to the Irish Quilting website with all the winners on the front page. The overall winner of the Janome Horizon sewing machine,Cathy Northcutt,also lives in Ramsgate, a talented quilter who has been quilting for many years.

And HERE is the link to the Irish Quilting blog.

None of this would have been possible but for the wonderful example of the master in thread painting Susan Brubaker Knapp ! It is simply amazing the real skill she displays in making her very very lifelike thread paintings. Her blog is HERE at Blue Moon River and her work is just amazing! I am a big fan of hers and have been following her blog and endeavours for a long time now. Do go along and see what she is doing. It's SO worth it! (LOVE the latest Rusty Chevys!) And by the way, can't wait for her book to come out mid July. Not long to wait now... sigh....

This is the dvd I bought and downloaded. The one with the lovely butterfly on the front. Susan explains the whole process really well and it is almost as if you are in the room with her! I wholeheartedly recommend it.

SO... as you do with the Oscars (and it does feel like I have won one!), I will have to thank my manager, my editor and the director (me, me, and me :-) but most of all thanks goes to Susan for inspiring me and to Sherry for loving what I have made! Nothing is so lovely as when you have poured your heart into a piece and it touches someone else.

19 comments:

Jodi said...

That's absolutely gorgeous! Congrats to you!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

WOW!!! That's brilliant, well done xxx

{Leila}Where the Orchids Grow said...

How cool, congrats!!

Susan said...

Congratulations Marg! I loved it then and love it now!! It is a real credit to you! I can see you smiling from here!!

Liz said...

congratulations, it is a credit to you and it's just so darned lovely too! It's such a thrill when you win anything but the accolades are well deserved in your case. What a great prize too...
Lizzie
xxx

Susan Brubaker Knapp said...

Oh, wow! It is gorgeous. Many congratulations! And thanks for all your kind words; I am blushing!

Terrie Sandelin said...

It's a gorgeous block -- definitely worth the accolades. Congratulations!

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

Woohoo Marguerite, how wonderful to win, and totally deserving of it too. xo

Unknown said...

Congratulations Marg - your piece is beautiful

Julie said...

I remember when you posted that block and thought it was lovely - I'm not surprised you won, it really deserves the praise. Well done! Juliex

Micki said...

It is just stunning! You deserved to win!
Micki

Catherine said...

Yes I do remember this block! How wonderful to win a prize and the 'Editors choice' at that! Congratulations!

myBearpaw said...

Well done Marg, it is a beautiful piece of work, I am not surprised that you won!

quilthexle said...

Congratulations !! This is sooo wonderful - and well deserved!!!

Jo said...

congratulations Marg. you deserve all the wonderful comments your flowers are fabulous

Lauranie said...

Well of course your natural talent would shine through this gorgeous piece!!! It was very smart of them to recognize it! ;) Really beautiful...congrats girl!! xo

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

Hurray hurray hurray - I missed this post - you are a rockstar superstar - yay!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corrie said...

How cool! Congrats!

black bear cabin said...

wow...how did i miss this...what a gorgeous block! you have been busy...and creating some wonderful things indeed! :)