Athens time

Thursday 20 June 2013

Pudding First or Pudding After? (Or do you leave the best for last?)

Lately, as you have all noticed, I have not been blogging much.  This has several causes, family problems, health and last but not least the 'what should be done first'.

Do you all know this?  First your greens, then the pudding?  First the dreary stuff, then the lovely things as a reward.  This is how I have been raised.  And this is how I have continued in life.  You do the things you 'must' first to be then rewarded with the nice stuff.

However... I am noticing more and more that by the time you get to 'the nice stuff', there are more 'must do' things on the list.  As a friend I had not talked to for a while asked, I stopped and realized that I had effectively not sewn for years.  Even though it is what I want to do, even though it makes me happy.


(wouldn't you like to go surfing in the old VW bus?... I would! but that would be classified as 'pudding':-)

So when I saw this article this morning on Kim Werker's blog titled " How To Be Prolific: Guidelines For Getting It Done From Joss Whedon", my interest was peaked!  She refers to Joss (writer-producer-director)Whedon's interview HERE, in which he explains how he gets so much done.

And guess what?  He eats the pudding first!! (so to speak).  When he is really enthousiastic about something, he does it straight away.  Whilst the idea is still current, still exciting and he is still able to use that enthousiasm and drive to create the best work.  THEN he does the rest and knows that once he has dragged his way through the drudge, the end is near.

This is a revolutionary idea (well, to me anyhow).  As translating this to my quilting, it means that I have had lots of ideas I have been totally enthousiastic about. I can see how they could work... if only I had the time... and I don't have the time, as I spend all my time dragging my way through the drudge... and I won't sew till it's all done... Well guess what dear readers, it's dawning on me it will never get done... And however much I need the time to find work, clear up in the house, look after everyone etc, surely some time can be found to do something I love? (without having to feel quilty about it) And what's more, act on it when I get that spark of an idea and it is still fresh and exciting!

What's more... when I DO sew, it's for swaps and bees I have committed myself to (be it willingly :-). (btw, the charity blocks for the Siblings Together Quilt are rolling in, I will show you soon!) rather than the things I feel that instant spark for.  I STILL have the pattern and fabric for a couple of quilts I did not get to and was really enthousiastic about.  My son's quilt I promised him a year ago is still not done. I have so many ideas...

Maybe... just maybe I should do some more blogging?  reconnect with friends? sew on some of the ideas I have that I am wildly enthousiastic about but had to be shelved ? (whilst I see many of my friends actually carrying out these ideas, often ones I have had myself independently and am thinking... that could have been me...)

What do you all think.  Pudding first or Pudding after?

I am curious to what your opinions are!! Please comment!
I'll be waiting for you input whilst I am busy with the main meal :-)


13 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Lovely to see you here again! I have to admit that I do both. Some days I feel I have to eat my greens first which usually results in no sewing for me, but some days I think "let's live a little" and have my pudding first. This then results in a messy house with unmade beds and the washing up left in the sink but a very happy Elisabeth. This 'system' really works for me.

ann said...

So nice to hear from you again. I was raised the same way. I often try to "double task". I get the laundry running and sew while the load runs through. I iron what clothes need ironing while the iron is hot from quilt ironing. Get dinner on the go , sew a bit. However, this never allows for that transcendence into my inner artist ( hah...like I even know what that is. But it sounded good eh?). I retire next week after 30 yrs teaching high school bio/chem. it may be even harder to give myself permission to sew all day as there will be no schedule, no bells ringing to tell me ...next. It's certainly an interesting topic and one I will want to see what others have to say something about.

{Leila}Where the Orchids Grow said...

Pudding first! I have never understood the reasoning of eating everything on your plate before rewarding yourself with more food. This is true for me both in the literal sense as well as the metaphor. But I'm not good with the whole self discipline thing anyway. I let my kid have sweets before dinner and guess what he still eats his veggies too. So there must not be much truth in the old saying ;)

Molly said...

Well hello there! I'm so glad to see you reappear in my reader window :) I'm sorry to hear of your challenges lately and glad you are going for a little pudding. I'm a crawl-under-the-blankets-and-cover-my-head type of person when things get tough. I'm not even sure when I end up eating the pudding!

Hope things are smoothing over and you have lots of tasty treats ahead....

Rafael's Mum said...

Thank you ladies for all your interesting comments!!

Ann; Oh, I envy you! It will be SO nice to have some more time for yourself and I am sure you will get into it once you get used to the idea! I think the biggest problem is one we are creating ourselves. We do not give ourselves 'permission' to do nice things because then we feel guilty about the things we haven't done... Maybe changing your mindset is the key to a less stressed lifestyle?

You are a no reply blogger so I could not answer you by email, can you send it to me? Thanks!

Jo said...

I always tried to be pudding after, but if something special came up I would drop everything and go for it. Now days I have learnt that there are surprises just around the corner (some not so nice) and life is too short, so I try to do as I please on the day it pleases me. Remember the dust will still be there when you are not. Good to see you back

Me and Ma said...

Hi Marg, I like to alternate, a bit of pudding, bit of main then a bit more pudding. At the moment I am managing to make a skirt for one of the girls whilst the tea is in the oven. Defo start blogging again, I miss you. Maria x

dolores said...

Yo Margie baby!:) Yepsterdoodle...you need to start eating the pudding cause there is always, always going to be a greens list and like real greens...they are made tastier with a bit of sweet zesty vinegar!!

I try to do a little sewing every day, there are always several projects going stacked next to my sewing machine and some handstitching near where I sit on the couch so even if it's just 15-30 minutes a day I'm seeing progress. Also having little thing to do (in addition to the bigger stuff)will be finished faster...results!:)
Maybe you need to make yourself a little handsewing kit of hexies or tumbers so when you are sitting and waiting you can have some pudding!:)

Lisa C said...

I think you have to do a little bit of both - eat your veggies and reward yourself. Sometimes I "need" to relax (sew) a minute to clear my head from the day before I do the dishes or laundry or plan meals. On the other hand, I enjoy a clean house and a fully stocked pantry. So it's a balance. I hope you find yours!

Lynz said...

I'm with Lisa. I'm a pudding after girl - the house gets cleaned and everyone fed before I have my fun. But if I did everything I should first? All the ironing, tidy that cupboard? I would never have fun. So I do MUST-do's (hoover living room, cook), have some fun!, THEN maybe something else on the greens list. Balance is hard though!!

Cat said...

I read the dessert list before I order .. .. ..

AND

I get up 30 mins earlier than everyone else in the family and I SEW this MY time for ME

I'm desperate to know how the stars are

Liz said...

I've always maintained that dessert should be the first course and I always check out the dessert menu to decide what I want for sweets first, that way I know how much main to have....! Life's too short to wait, the dust, dishes or whatever will still be there later...the inspiration may not...
Looking forward to seeing you in October.....getting just a little excited..
Lizzie
xxx

RenaissanceSandi said...

Love it! I wouldn't have thought of it as "pudding first" and that is awesome. I often do the things I don't want to do first to get them over with, and then, I am too tired to do the fun stuff! From now on, I will definitely try doing some of the fun stuff first!